Thursday, February 15, 2007

Wanna be a Wormer? Lesson 1


I've been raising worms, composting worms mainly, since well back into the 20th century, and I want to pass on all the good stuff I've learned as well as all the things I learned aren't so good.

I just divorced myself from a relationship with a vermiforum I was involved in since its inception and will miss almost all the people I grew up with...worm wise...there.

So, lets build a worm bin!

I am gonna tell you how I like to do it. You can raise worms in plastic bins, dresser drawers, buckets, holes in the ground, old shop vac's....just about anything. But because of moisture retention, I'll talk about building a plastic tote worm bin.

Day 1:

Buy a 10 gallon Sterilite or Rubbermaid plastic tote...or two. They should be opaque because worms love being in the dark. Tear newspaper into narrow strips for bedding.
Go online for a worm farmer/seller/raiser of your choice and order a pound, or two, of red wigglers (look up the Latin, official name for red wigglers)

Begin denying your garbage disposal of veggie scraps, and apple cores, and other non-meat and fat products, and salty stuff, and coffee grounds and tea bags, and....other stuff by putting them in a safe place, like a freezer, or a nice decanter-type slop jar for when the worm's arrive pretty damned pissed about being in a USPS shipping box for two or three days.

In those few days, depending on the postal service, and weather (don't buy worms from a place where they'll be shipped through freezing weather), the worms will be very anxious about their new surroundings so get that bin welcome prepared.

Day 2-arrival:

Prepare the bin with a little bedding. Composting horse manure is good, and my favorite, but you can use leaves and yard waste, with the newspaper stripping, of course

Wait for the worms to arrive.

Come back tomorrow for the next installment.

Relax. It ain't rocket science...but if you have questions, ask me @here.

No comments: